Navigating the Public Sector
Tactix is a strategic advisor to leading Canadian and Fortune 500 companies. Since 1996, Tactix’ highly skilled professionals have created innovative solutions to complex government relations threats and opportunities, helping clients achieve their business objectives and deliver results for shareholders. Tactix’ professionals know how governments make decisions. We know how those decisions are shaped and influenced. We also understand the constraints and opportunities presented when government charts a course of action. Corporate clients and industry associations count on Tactix’ team of seasoned professionals to help them navigate through Canada’s complex political and public affairs landscape – to get the decisions they need to succeed.
To renegotiate NAFTA without enhancing labour integration would be a missed economic opportunity. The agreement needs a renewed labour mobility chapter.North American businesses have the moving of industrial goods, raw materials and final products down to a science. According to the Council on Foreign Relations, over recent decades NAFTA has “fundamentally reshaped North American economic relations, driving an unprecedented integration” of the three countries. The caveat to this success, however, is that despite NAFTA and all of the related integration of businesses through continental supply chains, workforce integration in North America remains in its infancy.
by Tactix Principal, Chris Smillie
- U.S. releases document outlining their NAFTA renegotiating objectives
- Canadian government draws a red line at Chapter 19 dispute settlement, setting up a major point of contention with U.S.
- Trump administration designates Assistant USTR John Melle the lead U.S. negotiator
We are pleased to present NAFTA NEWS Vol. II , a periodic newsletter offering important information and insight as the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement takes shape in 2017.
NAFTA NEWS is produced by three of North America’s leading government relations and public affairs consulting firms, ManattJones Global Strategies; Manatt, Phelps & Phillips LLP; and Tactix Government Relations and Public Affairs.Each edition of NAFTA NEWS provides our readers with need-to-know information and political insights from the three NAFTA national capital cities.
Volume II Highlights:
- All three NAFTA partners have commenced formal internal consultations ahead of trilateral negotiations; opportunities for industry and individuals to engage differ
- Conclusions, commitments, and concessions made during TPP talks will influence initial negotiating positions
- Trump administration has yet to designate the lead U.S. negotiator